FANTASY by Kim-Ahn Schreiber

I'm teaching this book--Fantasy, by Kim-Anh Schreiber--in my Hybrid-form Writing class. Has anyone here read it? It's really wonderful. 

I have SO much work to do this afternoon, but want to plug the book and also to make a note of this idea I have: in a review of it (I can hunt it down if anyone wants it), a writer--who is setting up some of what happens in the book's lengthy and delightful considerations of the Japanese horror film House--says that we might view the film as a kind of cinematic enactment of Brechtian alienation (this is REALLY cool, in the context of what Schreiber reports about the film's relationship to Hiroshima and time and generations and teenage-dom; the film is from 1977). And because Schreiber is just mindblowingly moving through the complicated memory-scape issues of people (probably everyone/most reading this?) who grew up alongside tv/film landscape/texture . . . how the tv world gets all jumbled with your own memory and also photos and family memory with all of its cracks and lies and confusions, etc. Anyway: I'm VERY into some idea of Brechtian alienation and memory-un-filing/un-filling itself. Like: how psychedelic can we get with looking at our own memories AS memories, reaching into the distance and nearness like tasting one's own mouth. I want to turn my eyes around, etc.



Comments