this is about Anne's book/but also to Anne--

I'm reading Anne's novel, The Enhancers

I have it next to our bed, and because of this time/this part of the semester, it only gets my eyes/I only get to enter it for a tiny sliver each night. I told this to Anne at a party (shock of the century that we actually went out one night! it was very covid-safe), right before introducing her to our daughter, Loulou, who's recently newly exposed to the cool literary spaces we bump into through work/writing. Anne talked to Lou very familiarly and kindly--not at all catering to her 11-year-old-ness. I liked watching Anne's earrings as she talked.

The novel is (so far): sci-fi soft-dystopia girlhood rebellion girl friendship in warped bourgeois values--the middle class is the medium, etc.--and also, very blatantly, is (about) climate grief. The main character is constantly cataloguing extinctions and loss--as a way of inscribing upon the world.

I twitter-clicked on this essay yesterday and it's a lovely complement: To Live in the Ending | Journal (kenyonreview.org)

"How is it possible to stay with the trouble without staying in the horror? For decades, [CA] Conrad’s answer has been to bring themselves back to the radical present of their own body through ritual. For their most recent book, Amanda Paradise: Resurrect Extinct Vibration, they began by assembling field recordings of animals who had gone extinct or nearly extinct within Conrad’s lifetime, making a card for each animal with its name and facts about its life, families and habits. They then drove to Walmarts, those contemporary consumer embodiments of Manifest Destiny, in all fifty states, often stopping to spend the night. (To entice travelers to shop in its stores, Conrad explained to Naimon, Walmart allows people to camp in its parking lots. Each night the parking lots fill with a mix of high-end campers and homeless families living in their cars.) To perform the ritual, Conrad plays the field recordings, returning the coos, grunts, wails, calls, and songs of the disappeared and disappearing animals to the air. They bathe in the sounds of extinct vibrations, moving a set of speakers slowly up their body from foot to head before entering the Walmart, still listening to the recordings on headphones. Moving in spiral against the grid of the aisles, they walk until they reach the center of the store and then kneel or lie down to write, remaining open to whatever interactions might arise from being a large, queer, glittering body on the floor of a Walmart during regular store hours."


I don't know if I already knew of Conrad's project; did you, Anne? It's such a nice overlap!

Last night, Lou and I were lounging in mine and Phil's bed, about to read some Nancy Drew (this is something we do somewhat ironically/sarcastically but also because the frocks and strange salads are so satisfying), and she flipped through Anne's book and asked if she could read it when I was done. (This may or may not happen.)

Comments

  1. just something else I'm saving from that Harad essay: "He is not the only one I know who works like this: within but against a violent system, quietly, in an obscurity that makes the work possible, trading purity for efficacy, jimmying open the places where the edges don’t quite come together, to make room for few more people to breathe. I can’t bring myself to believe in a future world bright enough to justify losing this one any more than I can believe in a single explosive apocalypse or a hero who will rescue us at the last minute. But I trust this kind of work—ephemeral, repetitive, compromised, jerry-rigged, its many failures balanced by occasional dazzling success—and the people who do it. People who assume the world has always been in need of repair. People for whom the question is not whether or not the world is ending, but what to do next."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olivia! thank you for your attention and reading and associations w/ The Enhancers ... I'm stumbling upon this as I emerge from a covid-induced haze of a few days and it's a welcome embrace. I didn't know of CA Conrad's book, or his rituals for the disappearing animals (!) what a sweet correspondence with Hannah and her friends' own. also it's the biggest compliment that Lou is curious about the book. I had another friend tell me her teen son read a few pages and wants to read the book after she finishes. wasn't expecting the younger generation to find my depiction of teens intriguing, but feel like perhaps I captured one small bit of the zeitgeist somehow, perhaps? if they are drawn to it.

    did you see this NY TIMES article about the Luddite club? https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/15/style/teens-social-media.html
    Fancy coverage for a club of high school 'outcasts' but somehow this too feels so in line with The Enhancers to me, it's also one thing that made me think the kids are going to be all right.... I still have a few days of quarantine before I fully emerge, and am excited to have this Harad essay to keep me company for part of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment