from Stanislaw Warda: Vocational Writing

                                                                       Something that we love

I have shuffled though my memory and recalled Celine Dion pictures. She is supported by two young men; they hold her when she tries to stand up from her wheelchair. Around her are many people, probably her close friends. Farther behind her are her fans, the fans from the entire world, now separated from her by  tape, waiting to once again see her. People who were amazed by her talent, beautiful music and singing which gave the whole generation of people unforgotten moments. Now, she is very sick but she came to her audience one more time to be where she belongs.  


How strong must be the desire to remain in the place where people spend their whole life, unable to accept change when it comes.   


How we all still want to be needed by others.


There is a special person in my workplace. He is 77 years old and still loves what he does. Recently, I have been collaborating with him on many projects in his place, so I can say that we work together. He is professional in his work, but also willing to share many professional details with me. It's interesting, but I must admit, the most interesting thing is the way he does it. He does it with so much passion that his eyes smile when he talks about it, even though he is talking about ordinary work tasks, often boring details. It's not rocket science related, but rather regular tasks, but when he talks about it, it's like poetry. It all reminds me of someone talking about the most beautiful love, the deepest desire or the most beautiful living experience. I didn't see people like that very often. We sometimes see this passion in children when we give them some tasks or some form of competition. Holding on to it for life is a big deal. I love people like that.

Unfortunately, he is an exception. This picture from my memory contrasts with the opinion which I hear in my workplace. So many people there complain about what they do. They are swearing at everybody and everything, complaining around and talking only about how long they have to work until retirement; retirement – so terrible word.  They are probably too old, or rather they have always been old.  They do not want to notice how happy they are. They are still in good health condition but somehow, they do not enjoy doing some job which other people can be jealous of. 

How often each of us is jealous about the job or other activities others are doing. I think it does not depend on education or skills. I do not know what. Often during direct confrontation we are disappointed for some reason, and we lose our passion. It also does not depend on gender. I once spoke about my job to a young tutor who helped me to improve my homework, and who later became a nurse. When I talked with her about my job, which is sometimes boring, she was listening to it with attention. She thought a little and after a while she said she said wistfully, “how great is a job like that. “It surprises me but on the other hand I looked at my “boring“ job from a different perspective. She opened my eyes. I didn't repay the favor myself; it was not this moment, but I thanked her for it. I never said it to her, but I just pray to also she would find a person who opened her eyes for her beautiful job, because what would have been more beautiful than taking care of other people.



……………………………………………..

This worries me a bit because we humans are jealous of something we don't have. I'm afraid I like people like my 77-year-old co-worker because I'm not like him. I'm afraid I'm part of the latter group who only thinks about retirement; but I don't want to retire. I tried to avoid discussing age because I felt embarrassed. I won't think about it; this idea may be tainted. I don't want to be a participant in this epidemic. If we love what we do unconditionally, it is a great happiness.

This great happiness makes what we have been able to love unconditionally. I don't know if love for the work we do can be compared to love for another person, and I won't think about it. Instead, in my memory I will imagine people who express it with their lives and themselves. Celine Dion, the 77-year-old from my workplace, and many others. They will express it in such a way that words will not be necessary.









Comments